Your Cape Cod Holiday Guide
Many people flock to Cape Cod for sea and surfing, but just as many think the holiday season is the most wonderful time of year! Make Woods Hole your home base to experience all the Cape and Islands have to offer for a quintessential Cape Cod holiday. Cape Cod and its holiday festivities will be “making spirits bright” all December long! Read on to find out more about all the holiday activities and things to do in December on Cape Cod for your next visit!
Visit Falmouth and Woods Hole
- Holidays by the Sea – The Falmouth Chamber of Commerce presents Holidays by the Sea Weekendthis year from December 1st-3rd The weekend kicks off Friday night with caroling at Waterfront Park, right here in Woods Hole on Water Street just steps from the Woods Hole Inn. The fun continues on Saturday at noon with the 12th Annual Jingle Jog 5K & Kid’s Elf Run, and the evening will feature an array of activities when Main Street closes to automobile traffic for the Holiday Stroll in Falmouth Village. The shops will be open for special evening hours prior to the Annual Lighting of the Green which features holiday music from the Falmouth Brass Band. Americana at its best! The festivities continue with the 60th Annual Christmas Parade, which steps off from Dillingham Avenue on Sunday, December 3rd at noon. Known as Southeastern Massachusetts’ largest holiday parade, thousands of spectators pack the parade route each year to take in decorated floats, marching bands from all over the region, costumed characters, and majestic Clydesdales followed by Santa himself. This year’s theme is “Holidays Through the Decades” and is not to be missed!
- Holidays at Highfield– Take a trip to yesteryear and check out Holidays at Highfield at the 1878 restored estate of the Beebe family. This beautiful property features a gift gallery and elaborate decorations, on weekends beginning November 24th through December 10th.
- 11th Annual Winter Striptacular– For something totally different, don’t miss the 11th Annual Winter Striptacular happening December 14th-18th at the Landfall restaurant located here in Woods Hole featuring irreverent entertainment by Cape Cod’s premier burlesque dancer Pepper Grinds.
- Holiday Stroll – The village of Woods Hole will be hosting its Holiday Stroll on Saturday, December 16th. Santa arrives at 11 AM in style like a true Cape Codder…by boat! Join him and his elves at the Woods Hole Aquarium sharing their Holiday cheer plus more fun activities throughout the day! Activities include fresh eggnog at the Woods Hole Market, drink mimosas while you shop at Inlet, and end it with a festive “Santa & Elves” themed party at Captain Kidd!
If you’re looking to venture beyond Falmouth, then be sure to check out check out the village of Sandwich.
- Gardens Aglow at Heritage Museums & Gardens, located in Sandwich, Cape Cod’s oldest town. The expansive grounds are illuminated from November 24th-December 23rd, please get your tickets early! The tour also includes festive indoor holiday decor and numerous activities around the grounds and galleries.
- Sandwich Glass Museum’s 14th Annual Glassblower’s Christmas– While you’re there, be sure to take in Sandwich Glass Museum’s 14th Annual Glassblower’s Christmas, which runs from November 17th- December 30th.
Visit the Islands or Lower Cape
- Christmas in Edgartown– For an Island experience, head to the Steamship Authority Ferry Terminal just steps from the Inn, followed by a short boat ride for Christmas in Edgartown, December 7th-10th.
- Nantucket Christmas Stroll– Take a drive to Hyannis where you can pick up either the Steamship or the Hyline ferry for the Nantucket Christmas Stroll, which runs from December 1st – December 3rd.
- Lighting of Pilgrim Monument– Contrary to popular belief, the Pilgrims first landed in Provincetown, and their 1620 arrival is celebrated each year starting Thanksgiving week with the annual Lighting of Pilgrim Monument, one of Provincetown’s most photographed landmarks. This year’s lighting took place on November 11th. Visit PTown to see this iconic symbol of hope and new beginnings that will be illuminated until early January.
We hope you are able to jingle all the way to Woods Hole to experience the holiday season… Enjoy our delicious breakfast each morning and wander off to enjoy the Cape Cod festivities!