Cycling Cape Cod MA, especially in the crisp fall weather, is the best way to see the hidden vistas and back road treasures of this sandy peninsula. But how to make it all happen seamlessly in one killer weekend? Well, meet our our bike tour package, which answers the question — why cycle Cape Cod starting in Woods Hole?
1) Rail Trails. The Shining Sea Bike Path — eleven miles of cycling fun each way, connecting Woods Hole to North Falmouth with everything in between — gorgeous vistas, Nobska Lighthouse, downtown Falmouth, Sippewisset Marsh and the cranberry bogs of Bourne Farm — voted one of the best bike paths in America. Ride hard, feel safe.
2) Free Breakfast. Enjoy a hearty breakfast, included with the room, to prepare for your Cape Cod cycling adventure. At the Woods Hole Inn, that means all-you-can-eat quiche, bread-pudding, croissant, fresh fruit, Greek yoghurt and home-made sweet granola plus our fair-trade piping-hot coffee to slosh it all down. Work hard, play harder.
3) Chillax. Friday night, the sun sets over the water and you enjoy a wine and cheese reception to warm into your Martha’s Vineyard cycling adventure: rice crackers, Spanish Manchego, Brie, Marconi almonds and a sprig of fresh rosemary artfully arranged on a recovered slate from the recent re-model of the Woods Hole Library rooftop. Add your choice of red or chilled white wine? Great way to start the weekend!
4) Never Get Lost. Guide Rob Miceli of Cotuit Cycling Tours shares his secret routes, back roads and amazing views as you explore cycling Falmouth and Martha’s Vineyard over two days. Rob will tell you all about the area, and pace the bicycle ride to meet where you are. He is great!
5) Escape to an Island. Across the street from the Woods Hole Inn, the ferry takes you to Vineyard Haven and you cycle with Rob on the bike path past Oak Bluffs to Edgartown and beyond if the group is feeling confident. Soak in the incredible views over State Beach, past the Jaws Bridge, over Vineyard Sound. You are on island time now.
6) Lobster Tacos. Don’t forget dinner at Quicks Hole (also included in the package!) our farm-to-table Taqueria with a water-view deck where the sun sets over the water every night. If you’re lucky, the band is set up and locals have gathered for a sangria or draft Cape Cod beer. Close your eyes and you are at one of any of the best end of the road hangouts — Todos Santos, Montauk, Key West, Carpenteria, Laguna, and yes, Woods Hole.
Last weekend, we hosted this special getaway inspired by travel writer Tim Jones, whose blog EasternSlopes.com urges readers that “life isn’t a spectator sport.” Taking the mystery out of enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the Cape from the seat of your bike, Tim Jones wrote the journey up for the Concord Monitor, and I urge you to read more about his experience here.
So for all you weekend warriors out there, consider joining us next time — we plan to keep the bike tours rolling in the spring and fall so stay posted here or “like” our Facebook page for updates, specials and sales.